By Rebbeca Nalesnik
According to Jason Nazer, contributor of Forbes, “approximately 543,000 new businesses get started each month.” In order to stand out against competitors you need to brand your company well. These days, more and more people are joining social media platforms by the minute. Kit Smith from Brandwatch says that “1 million new active mobile social users are added every day. That’s 12 each second.” Trying to reach each one of these new possible customers is near impossible. Therefore, instead you need to identify what market you want to present yourself to. Start small, as there is always room for improvement and growth.
Branding can make or break your business. How will anyone ever discover your company if you don’t lay everything you have to offer on the table? Therefore, it is important on how you brand yourself. As John Williams said, “your brand is derived from who you are, who you want to be and what people perceive you to be.”
Therefore, you should utilize these seven steps to create a brand for your business. It may be easy to start, but will take a lot of time, energy, and dedication to grow your company to satisfactory levels.
1. Introduce: You need to assume everyone landing on your page knows nothing about you or your company. For example, you could make an about page describing who you are aside from your brand. This will help form a better relationship with whomever is reading about your brand. If people feel like they can relate to you they will want to read more about what you have to offer.
2. Communicate: If customers reach out to your page, don’t ignore them. Patch.com suggests to “spend as much time responding as you do creating content.” By responding to your reader you are creating a more personal experience with them. Communication is an important skill to have and should shine through positively when talking to possible customers.
3. Detail: Proofread! You do not want your company to be represented poorly by mistakes in your presentation. Be accurate.
4. Be Consistent: Creating a platform can lead to nothing if you never post anything. You must be reliable. Although don’t bombard the reader with minute by minute updates. Once or twice a day can get the job done.
5. Appearance is everything: You are representing your company, add your own trademark and make yourself known. Create a brand that is memorable. You want people to know your brand by something as simple as a check mark. Everyone knows a check mark stands for Nike, but that didn’t happen overnight. Nike brands themselves very well, thus resulting in successful brand loyalty, which you try to reach as well.
6. Respect: Be mindful that everyone has different opinions. Readers will disagree with what you have to say, but make sure to always stay professional when responding. Don’t let bad reviews kill your positivity. Take what they say into consideration.
7. Have fun: Always remember to be unique, make your brand stand out, and be personable!
Consequently, by following these steps, you will lead your brand to success. As a student you should begin branding yourself in a positive way. Making little changes to the way you post on social media is a step in the right direction. That way when the job interviews begin you will already stand out against the rest. Likewise, you should create a LinkedIn page and post about your success as employers want to see how you brand yourself because this will reflect their company in time.